Guacamole Turkey Burger
Lean ground turkey and heart-healthy avocado come together to make eating right delicious. This recipe, which calls for our Tailgaters Gourmet Hamburger Buns, brings a little Southwestern flavor to the mix, with salsa in the guacamole and a seasoned burger mixture. If you’d like to add cheese, a cheddar jack or pepper jack would be perfect. Black bean-corn salad is a great side dish.
Tip: Preshaped patties made with ground turkey breast are widely available in the grocery store butcher case, and these save you some time in preparation!
- 8 Ball Park® Tailgaters Gourmet Buns
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ground turkey breast patties
- 3 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons favorite Mexican salsa
- Kosher salt to taste
- Trimmings as desired, such as mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles.
- To make guacamole, slice avocados in half, lengthwise. Remove the pit and discard. Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon into a bowl.
- Add juices, chili powder, salsa and salt and mash with a fork until nicely chunky.
- Cover with plastic and set aside. (If you want to make the guacamole an hour or so ahead of time, you can keep it fresh in its bowl in the refrigerator by pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the guacamole so that no air reaches the avocado, which is what makes it turn brown.)
- In a bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika until thoroughly blended.
- Brush each patty on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning blend on both sides.
- Using a skillet or grill pan, cook patties over medium-high heat, covered, about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until no pink remains. If you’re adding cheese, do so for about the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Brush each bun on both sides with melted butter and warm in another skillet over medium-high heat for about 15 seconds per side, just until toasty.
- Place patties on each bun bottom, top with guacamole and other desired trimmings. Serve with a little salsa on the side.