Monterey Jerk Dog
Give your next barbecue some island flavor with this Caribbean-influenced hot dog recipe, which perfectly balances the spiciness of jerk seasoning with the sweetness of caramelized onions and pineapple.
- 6 Ball Park® Original Hot Dog Buns
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jerk or Cajun seasoning
- 6 hot dogs
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces drained, crushed pineapple (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Whisk garlic powder into mayonnaise and spread onto Ball Park® Hot Dog Buns.
- Coat the bottom of a small skillet with olive oil and warm on medium heat.
- Add the onion and caramelize by stirring until golden brown.
- Add jerk seasoning and remove from heat.
- Butterfly the hot dogs by splitting on one side, leaving the other side intact, then grill split-side down until grill marks appear (safe internal temp. 160°F).
- Flip hot dogs and add the jerk onions and cheese into each split.
- Open each bun and lightly toast opening-side down.
- Place each hot dog into a toasted bun and add pineapple or your favorite toppings.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.